Honest, Reliable & Family Owned Business Since 1973

cb4ada83-878b-479a-b40b-d11ce7e48973 12fed6a6-47c0-4460-a89d-c433e6ef15a0 012dd583-074e-4adb-b2f0-1cd097900b51

Your email:

Get your questions answered and your pest problems solved

Better business Bureau A plus rated pest control

AAA Exterminating Co's Blog

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

How to get rid of water bugs

Water bug, cockroach, smokey brown cockroach     There are insects that are actually called water bugs. However most of the time Water Bug is simply a common name for a couple diferent types of Roaches, such as the Smoky Brown Cockroach and the American Cockroach. The most common one I see in homes around Raleigh and Fayetteville is the Smokey Brown Roach (pictured above). It is almost impossible to completely get rid of these insects, to the point you will never see them. What you can do is reduce the population to an acceptable level and keep them out of your home.

Pest Control companies have controlled these insects for years, so it really is pretty easy for us to keep them under control with a simple quarterly pest control program. There are also things that a homeowner can do themselves to keep these pests under control.

1. These Roaches typically feed on decaying organic material, or plant material. They are also scavengers so they will eat almost anything. A common sense approach of removing dead leaves and mulch from around the home and also keeping garbage cans away from moist areas can be a big help.
  2. There is alot of advice about sealing up all entry points in your home but to be honest that is not realistic at all. The odds are you will only be able to find about 30% or so of possible entry points. It is a good idea though to seal what you can.
  3. I see these insects in crawl spaces all the time. Usually up near the floor along the perimeter of the structure. For a pest control program to be successful I would highly suggest using a product in the crawl space such as Delta Dust. (Follow all label instructions)
  4. A product such as a residual pesticide or granuals should be used on the outside perimeter of the structure, and other possible problem areas.

Keeping these insects under control is mostly about being consistent, make your home a less appealing environment for them and keep it that way.

** note ** many urban areas such as fayetteville, Raleigh and Durham have significant Roach problems in the sewer systems. If these roaches continue to be a major problem call a professional or contact the city to see about possibly getting the man holes in your area treated.

Comments

My family and I moved into our rental almost a year ago and we are just now noticing these water bugs. We don't have any plants in our home though. We keep kitchen very clean and still can't seem to get rid of them though? Any seguestions?
Posted @ Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:11 AM by smiths
I've been noticing these water bugs or cockroaches in the home as well as my garage.. I do have to plants I just received 2 weeks ago. I also have mulch in the front yard of my home. I keep my home as clean as possible. Its really irritated
Posted @ Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:26 AM by Nar
we live in a trailer community right by the lake with lots of trees so they are everywhere! I can handle bugs but this is my one great fear. I wet outside to smoke and there were 4 climbing up our house! I'm planning on caulking up all cracks I see tomorrow in the house but what else can I do to get these guys away? I found one in my bed the other night and couldn't sleep for days! Please Help!
Posted @ Friday, May 04, 2012 11:03 PM by Leann Ferguson
I have water bugs in my house and I just wanted to know if it can fly? Can water bugs fly? Help me please. just send me an email to squicy31@gmail.com and tell me please. thanks. ASAP!!!!
Posted @ Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:07 PM by Squicy
We have these freaking things too. We have a lake in our backyard and no matter what we do, we can never get rid of these irritating bugs. Our issue with using a lot of these insecticides and pesticides, is that we have 2 dogs and 2 young children, so we have to be extremely careful on what we use inside as well as outside our home.
Posted @ Saturday, August 25, 2012 1:17 PM by Lisa
wtf eeewwww we got em too help me!!!
Posted @ Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:32 PM by cristen
I'm verrrry afraid of these things.. I have 3 small children are there things that can keep them away other then pesticides..
Posted @ Sunday, July 07, 2013 10:30 PM by Lori Morgan
I am so freaking out. These bugs are just about ten a day in all areas of the apt. Please yell me what to do, I am going crazy, do they bite? I have a baby in the apt.
shauna
Posted @ Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:44 PM by shauna
I live in an apt. complex where these things are allowed to run rampant. The people in these parts call them water bugs, but I just assumed that made them feel better about them being giant cockroaches. I go outside every night and collect a few, snip off the rear two sets of legs, snip off the front feet, and snip off a little better than half of the wings. I know that sounds a little sadistic, but that way they can't climb the glass in the gecko tank, (and boy can they climb glass). I always catch the ones with wings simply because it's easier to hold them by the wings in order to cut their little legs off. Clipping the wings is just because there is no nutritional value but a lot of leathery bulk. These roaches have about 3 times the nutritional value of a cricket, and they eat mostly leaf litter outside, which makes them a relatively clean food for the gecko. He will eat 1-3 per day.
Posted @ Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:58 AM by Andrew
I live on the east coast of Virginia. The best solution I have found for large roaches is to sprinkle boric acid in the back of cabinets, around the bottom of the door frame and under cabinets and along baseboards. You only want a very fine coating, like using a puffer to apply. The boric acid dries out the roach and you will find it upside down in the morning. I have done this for years with me dog and cats in the same room. It also keeps fleas under control. You need to treat every 6 months.
Posted @ Saturday, August 30, 2014 3:39 PM by Cobbsmom